Friday, July 1, 2011

...or booze for July

I like wine.
I really do, especially after one of those days where you think that if the world opened up and swallowed you whole, that would be just fine. But I'm finding too many reasons to curl up with a bottle of wine instead of a book. There are so many social opportunities to bond over booze with my friends, but this bonding turns into hatred the day after, because it is (of course) my friend's fault I'm so hungover and feel like I've devoured a sand-wich (two words on purpose, spelling crazies). In light of this, I'm making a little self-sacrifice.

I'm going to go a whole month without alcohol. Dry July is a fundraiser in which all proceeds go to hospitals and research towards adults living with Cancer. Not a bad reason to quit being a booze head at all. And if you take a gander at the website, there are even some hardcore enthusiasts who have done what they're called 'Damp June' - one guy has even raised over $14,000. You can join in teams or by yourself, and there are celebrities who have jumped on the opportunity to raise some much needed dosh for people in need.
Yes, there are a thousand charities and causes well worth donating too, but I've never done one properly before. I did the MS read-a-thon when I was 9, but I think this time around, I can raise more than $23. I hope I can, considering that as I type this, some kind soul has already chucked in a 20.

I've probably already begged for your attention on facebook, but I'm going to try and do this to my full potential and use all of my technological advances until you all crack :) So go have a look, feel free to donate if you've got a spare dollar or two, and be really happy about the fact that I won't be buying out all the Savignon Blanc out there.

www.dryjuly.com.au

to donate, go to
www.dryjuly.com/profiles/adellemarkham

No comments:

Post a Comment